a wing and a prayer

Post by Ruler on Jul 26, 2014 14:56:57 GMT

Ruler didn't know the normal practices for magi calling on other magi in this day and age. Her knowledge of magi customs was over two thousand years outdated, and her host Hana didn't even know magic was real.

The Mage's Association had sent one hundred magi. At the same time, Cleopatra VII had awoken in some poor girl's body. Like the Association, she didn't waste time getting to Taixuan. She'd arrived before the magi's unfortunate attempt to retake the Holy Grail, but instead of attending to such matters, she found a cushy hotel, had her nails done, and then went shopping.

Afterwards, she had found Raluca Dalca premises easily enough, and she broken in through a window late in the afternoon without any issues. As an apology for the breaking and entering--she really didn't condone such crimes--Ruler ordered dinner from a catering company.

It seemed that catering companies didn't usually cater meals for two. Nevertheless, it seemed that they'd cater for anybody if the price was right. Also, Mystic Voice helped a lot.

She searched through Raluca's bookshelves, collecting interesting titles and curling up on a sofa with what she hoped was an interesting novel. Meanwhile, chefs and assistants and decorators ran about the place in a panic to create the perfect dinner setting.

Raluca would come home to a bit of a surprise.

Ruler Avatar

Ruler

Post by Raluca Dalca on Aug 1, 2014 20:50:35 GMT

i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee454/_Bluechan/Hidden%20FCs/Ringo/tMbkY.jpg
Raluca had been on a pleasant stroll when she stopped mid-stride. The tingling tremor of a broken bounded field reverberated through her body, followed quickly enough by the tug of her familiars’ consciousnesses. Her home surrounded a rather quaint garden, where many of her bird companions resided, their gazes ever on her abode. Somebody had quite brazenly broken right in, and Raluca had to take a moment to puzzle over it.
There was also something of an impasse to be had. Familiars elsewhere were also offering up some interesting tugs on her mind, as something big might be on it’s way.

Puzzling quietly in the middle of the sidewalk, she finally opted to check on her house first. If something of import was going to happen, the Association would likely contact her anyway.

A brisk thirty minutes later, and she was standing before the entrance. She rubbed at the creases between her eyebrows, and ran her tongue over her teeth a multitude of times. Well it certainly didn’t feel like a trap, but this was the first time anyone had ever broken into her home, and there did seem to be a certain amount of hubbub going on within.
Her gun was on her person, as always, but she’d really rather not have to shoot anyone today. It was such a lovely afternoon too…perhaps whatever the issue was, it could be discussed over tea?

What she walked in on was not…what she anticipated. She recognized a few faces from the catering company, and while they exchanged silent greetings, she blinked blankly. Seems somebody was setting up a rather nice dinner in her home? Bemused despite herself, Raluca easily made her way toward the library, where her impromptu guest was found curled up and reading.

“Well, good afternoon! I was not expecting company this evening, but it seems a rather lush dinner is being prepared, so I suppose I can’t be too perturbed.”
Though she couldn’t fight off the grin, Raluca also looked suitably puzzled as she watched her ‘guest’.

Post by Ruler on Aug 3, 2014 14:24:23 GMT

The book was pretty good, although not so riveting that should could ignore the commotion of a catering crew working last-minute to secure the perfect meal. It was also not so riveting (although it had apparently warranted a four-star review according to the back cover, and Ruler agreed wholeheartedly) that she didn't notice Raluca's approach.

Ruler could sense servants from miles away, but a magus was much harder. It was her own instincts, not with the benefits of being Ruler but rather the senses of Cleopatra VII, that she noticed Raluca at the door.

Her first impression of Raluca was that she was wonderful. Her hair! The curls! That bright smile! Adorable.

"Ah, good evening, darling. It's such a pleasure to meet you--and I'm so sorry to drop in on you unexpected like this! Usually, I would call ahead, with gifts sent ahead, of course, but alas, we've both lost out on such simple joys today. I prepared a meal though. I hope it will be to your liking," Cleopatra said with a beautific smile, but it was her voice that stood out: something about it was entrancing, so much so that all other sounds seemed to fade--not drowned out, but instead falling silent out of respect, or perhaps awe.

She didn't bow or curtsey--a queen bows to no one--but Ruler stood up, remembering her page in the book before closing it and leaving it before her on the coffee table. The pharaoh wouldn't rise, but the pharaoh also didn't pay house visits. "I am," she paused for effect, pointedly not introducing herself as Ruler while the caterers were still about, "Cleo. I'm here about that little mess in town, with that gold cup, yes? It'll sort itself out, of course, but it might prove to be a rather torrid affair in this lovely town. I have no doubt that you're more than up to the task of sorting it all out yourself, but I thought that while I'm in town, we should go get our nails done sometime!"

They should also discuss the ramifications of the Holy Grail War for a town like Taixuan and a way for Raluca and Cleopatra to best work together to minimize the harm done to the local civilians, but Ruler had her priorities straight. Yes, she did.

After all, they could discuss such matters while getting their nails done--or over dinner, such as it were.

Ruler Avatar

Ruler

Post by Raluca Dalca on Aug 13, 2014 18:51:46 GMT

i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee454/_Bluechan/Hidden%20FCs/Ringo/87.png
Well, Raluca certainly could not complain about her guest’s charming presence! She wasn’t sure she’d ever been welcomed so warmly into her own home! The woman across from her was a dazzling sight to begin with, definitely a beauty in Raluca’s book, but it was her voice that was the most intriguing. Pleasant and sweet as it was, the hairs on the back of her neck stood up as it washed over her. She wasn’t concerned, but the reaction was a good indication that some kind of magic was afoot…though it didn’t seem to be a deliberate spell. Well, what a boon to have such a voice that everything else quiets down! Color her all kinds of impressed.

The pause was not lost, and the name Cleo was probably enough of a huge hint for Raluca to catch on. For her part, the supervisor curtsied modestly - the only show of respect she could try without making their interaction any more strange for the casual observer. In any case, this was likely what her familiars were chirping about all over town. She had a feeling something big would be coming, ever since noticing the influx of Yggdmillenia members a few years back. The Holy Grail War was NOT what she would have guessed at, but here it was, on her doorstep. Haha, or rather, in her house! Goodness but the Association was likely to be ringing her up like mad this evening. What an interesting conversation that was bound to be!

“Well miss Cleo, I do appreciate the vote of confidence! However, I am never one to turn down help, advice, or good company.”
She gave a wink at that.
“I’m sure I don’t need to actually introduce myself, but it seems so odd to leave it hanging. My name is Raluca, and it’s an exquisite pleasure to meet you my dear!”
It might be hard for others to fathom how genuinely nice she was, but if anyone could note the true earnestness in her voice, it was Lady Cleopatra.

Post by Ruler on Aug 24, 2014 20:52:31 GMT

Ruler had come into this encounter blind, and as much as she cruised through Raluca's home as a very comfortable intruder, she hadn't known what to expect from the town's overseer. The woman seemed warm and kind. It was too soon to tell if she had the steel necessary to safeguard Taixuan during an event as potentially cataclysmic as the Holy Grail War, but Ruler began to have her doubts.

Still, people do not find themselves in a position of power without reason. More importantly, people do not hold onto positions of power without merit.

"Fabulous! I'll call you tomorrow, sometime afternoon, I think. I haven't gotten a phone yet, but the concierge at my hotel has promised to help with that. I shall very much enjoy your company!" Ruler said with a movie star smile.

A polite cough came from over her shoulder: one of the caterers, who cleared his throat again. "Dinner is ready," he said with a butlerly bow. "We invite you to eat at your convenience."

"How about now?" Ruler suggested.

Dinner was beatific, even to Cleopatra's kingly standards--or perhaps especially to her outdated standards. The flavor of the local cuisine was rich and a bit fiery, but she enjoyed it as much as she did the roasted meats and fresh dates of old. It was, either way, undeniably better than anything Ruler herself could've prepared for the occasion.

Various dishes were paraded before them: sizzling lamb shank, fragrant tofu soup, cabbage and taro root, and a slab of river flounder simmering in leeks and green tea.

"Tell me," Ruler began, seated at the dinner table, "how has Taixuan been lately? I've heard about the little kerfluffle between your illustrious Association and that wonderful family, the Yggdmillenias?"

Ruler Avatar

Ruler

Post by Raluca Dalca on Aug 31, 2014 23:42:20 GMT

i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee454/_Bluechan/Hidden%20FCs/Ringo/82.png
Raluca could not begin to fathom Cleopatra’s true thoughts, or possible doubts. She was, however, ever in command of her own behavior. Raluca was a person very much comfortable with who she had become, what her abilities and limits were, and what was likely to be expected of her. She did things to the best of her ability in a straight-forward, almost simplistic kind of way. She did not over think things, and simply acted as well as she could at the time. It did not matter whether she was being lauded, ridiculed, or simply underestimated - she moved according to her own inner compass.

Take this abrupt drop in by none other than the divine Cleopatra! While there were many ways one could have reacted to this situation, who else but Raluca would do so in such a gracious and graceful manner? Her quirky personality was part of why she worked so well as overseer, though most probably could not pinpoint that as an actual reason.

“I would be more than happy to provide you with my contact information! I do look forward to a ladies day out!”
She clapped her hands together with enthusiasm, returning Cleo’s smile with a warm one of her own. The caterer intervened at a perfect moment, and Raluca nodded her pink curled consent. A nice chat over a delicious meal sounded just the thing!

“My my, you certainly have outdone yourself on this spread! This is quite the feast you’ve prepared!”
Her earnest compliments were for Cleo as much as they were for the caterers who did the actual work, though it still seemed a bit odd to be entertained in her own home ahaha. Still, there was nothing to complain about! Seated across from her guest-and-host, Raluca ate with a unique blend of gusto and table manners.

“Yes, yes, well, it has definitely been getting rather boisterous over the last few years! I don’t suppose most of Taixuan could be considered ‘sleepy’ in terms of activity, but on my front I would usually hazard to call it such.”
She sipped at her beverage idly.

“The delightful Yggdmillenias are the reason for all the activity of late, it’s true. They’ve quietly moved in and hunkered down, and I’ve had many a pleasant afternoon speaking to members. I know they cut ties and shunned the Association, but I must say I did not anticipate things becoming so unruly so quickly. All my darlings are aflutter about it right now! But truly, to bring such a troublesome thing right into the heart of my home... I suppose I cannot blame them for not being forthcoming with me, all things considered. Though I do suspect the conversation I am bound to have with members of the Association tonight will be very…interesting, heehee.”
For her part, Raluca had not be entirely forthcoming with the Association. She’d been content to welcome Ygdmillenia into Taixuan and let them make it a home, and so she supposed the fact they’d instead created a base and caused no small amount of trouble was her own fault. She just wondered how much the Association knew, and what she’d be made to confess to (or not, if things went well) when she did have that fateful conversation with her superiors!

Quick Reply