Tanz Notes - Caster of Black wip

Post by Tanz on Aug 14, 2014 11:30:30 GMT

Caster of Black
- Intro/Background -

I don't think anyone besides me, Vira, and Katya know who exactly Shihuangdi is and I can't really blame you guys. Prior to my discovery of the manga, Kingdom, I wouldn't know much of the first emperor of China either. His wikipedia page is incomplete and outdated, which is not a testament to his unpopularity but rather a fault in the wikipedia staff team and - I suppose - the esoteric nature of the subject for a western-dominated Internet. I've done a slightly extensive research to compile and compare the various facts surrounding Qin Shi Huang and the Qin dynasty and have written in this thread the facts and fiction for my character, the Caster of Black for reference. I have also added further explanation of his Noble Phantasms for additional background information.

Historical interpretations

Only one ancient history book exists that includes details of Qin Shi Huang. The lost of information is attributed to the burning of books and the ransacking of the imperial library after news of Qin Shi Huang's death. Until now, there is no certainty on what kind of man Qin Shi Huang was. After the Qin Dynasty and with the rise of Confucianism, Qin Shi Huang was greatly criticized by Confucianism scholars that a book highlighting his ten greatest crimes was made. In the more modern age, 1949, his rule was interpreted as a manifestation of class struggle and, lately, he was reevaluated as a ruler who broke down borders to establish a centralized country.

Zheng in Catharsis follows after some of historians' latest interpretation.

The manga, Kingdom by Yasuhisa Hara

The characters, , , , , and are actually based from the historical manga, Kingdom. We've retained most of their personalities and interpretations, but have slashed out most fictional reference to keep it as historical as possible.

Caster of Black's name

Qin Shi Huang's birth name was Zhao Zheng. At that time, it was customary to attach one's clan name, hence he was known as Zhao. In modern times, he's called by his ancestral name, Ying. In Catharsis, Zheng recognizes himself as both because of the modern knowledge the Grail has fed in his head.

When Zheng became emperor, his personal name was made into a taboo and he named himself after the regnal name, Qin Shi Huang, meaning “The First Emperor.” Shihuangdi, the character's account name, is a shortening of the name.

Mention in Fate canon

Qin Shi Huang was supposed to be the Servant of Tsubaki Kuruoka in Fate/strange fake and was said to require deference from the Master to summon. One of his noble Phantasms was recovered in modern times and could be used by a normal magus. In Catharsis, this phantasm, the Sea God's Crossbow, is in the possession of , having stolen it from the catalyst collector, during their youth.

Relations with magecraft

Alchemy, astrology, and divination have roots that can be traced way back in ancient China. Alchemists and shamans were considered to be "legal" positions I think and divination and astrology was a study in the court. In Fate universe, such concepts are very real but Zheng unfortunately landed with the shams save for the priestesses in his court. He doesn't like magic very much.

History vs Catharsis

1. Legitimacy

There are claims saying that Qin Shi Huang is an illegitimate ruler as he is in fact the son of the merchant and former Prime Minister, Lu Buwei. Many historians believe this to be unlikely and is simply an attempt to ruin the name of the Emperor in that period, considering his many enemies, his accomplishments, and his mother who was widely known as a sensual, lustful woman.

Catharsis: Factual. Why would I say no to a juicy gossip in history?

2. Executions

Qin Shi Huang is said to be mad and merciless. All the accused were executed on the spot. He had his own young half-siblings from Zhao Gao killed and rained down his wrath on Handan (?) for the mistreatment he and his mother received when he was a political hostage in Zhao.

Catharsis: Creative license! Zheng's motto is this: all those who resist will be met with violence. If you don't want to die, get out of his way. But there were people who did not deserve that and hatred was not the method for the path of life Zheng was seeking. Zheng spared his half-siblings, including members of royalty from enemy states he had squashed. He stained his own name to not encourage rebellion and the rest were just pure slander – and people readily believed that. It was easier to believe for the Emperor to act much more like a man than a saint.

3. Brother

Cheng Jiao, Qin Shi Huang's younger half-brother, was not pleased at the thought of having a king with a non-noble mother unlike him. He made a rebellion to usurp his brother and was killed in action.

Catharsis: Creative license! It's true that Cheng Jiao had a grudge on Zheng, but the siblings were able to quietly reconcile. Cheng Jiao's rebellion was a set-up but Lu Buwei to dishonor the name of royalty as, at that time, Zheng was enjoying popularity from the masses due to the bravery he displayed during the invasion of the Coalition Army (the combined forces of all other states. A very rare occurrence that had once reduced the State of Qi to two cities. Qin was able to push back the CA.)

4. Tyranny

Working people to death, raising the taxes, executing more people. Qin Shi Huang began numerous projects including roads and the Great Wall, but its no secret that the people were greatly suffering from poverty at that time.

Catharsis: Factual – although the reason is purely a personal interpretation. Zheng did not know how to rule. All his life and all of China's, there has only been war. To be an emperor of seven states that had been ensnared in a vicious cycle of hatred for so long was probably an even greater obstacle than the unification. Zheng realized this. Rather than try to become a good Emperor, Zheng continued his extreme methods so that his successors no longer need to stain their hands with blood and focus on becoming a wise ruler who can govern in a time of peace.

5. Immortality

Qin Shi Huang feared death because of his numerous enemies. He feared that they would punish him in the afterlife. The creation of his Terracotta Army was for this purpose but Qin Shi Huang wanted a life-sized version of it. But in due time, he no longer felt an army to protect him in the afterlife was a solution. He went after immortality and sent expeditions to search for it. To prolong his life in the meantime, he ingested mercury pills prescribed by his physicians.

Catharsis: Creative license! The Prime Minister, Li Si, disliked Zheng's first son, who was a supporter of Confucianism and had voiced opinions against Li Si's legalist reforms. Out of deference for the Emperor and believing his laws to be for the best of China, he desired Zheg's immortality. With the help of alchemists and magicians, Li Si had tricked Zheng into ingesting False Elixirs, which used mercury as a primary ingredient.
Tanz Avatar

Tanz
OOC
I play Ying Zhemg, Li Xin, Wang Ben, Marcos Amuro, Luca Barany, Kiritsugu Emiya-Yggdm., and Jin.

Post by Tanz on Aug 14, 2014 13:34:06 GMT

CASTER OF BLACK P2 - SKILLS + COMMENTS 

Territory Creation A
> Must be underground.

Creation of Zheng's city-size mausoleum. It's so huge I didn't bother to research on it but I guess I have to now.

Yes, the mausoleum is underneath that dirt. No, that's not a mountain man. That's the mound that covers the underground mausoleum.

www.china.org.cn/english/culture/229549.htm

Item Construction 
Creation of the False Elixir, which grants the skill Mercurialism to a Servant. To Zheng, this increases his Mercurialism skill when consumed repeatedly. Completely poisonous to a human but potent albeit potentially deadly to a magus.

Zheng's ability to create the False Elixir is also a reference to his birth element, Water, which was used in basing Qin's colors to black. (Well, mercury is a metal but you know what I mean.)

Charisma A+
> Negates all forms of mental interference through speech.
> Single boost in ENDURANCE.

This was originally a direct shout-out from the Kingdom manga but it works nicely on the idea of Zheng working people to their death. I also needed Charisma to actually be useful c8;

Counter Assassin C
> Decreases the Luck of Servants of the Assassin class by one
> Temporarily decreases the Luck of any Servants initiating a surprise attack by one

Qin Shi Huang was imaged to be very paranoid of assassins. Well, he had a lot of them, including a funny story of running around defending himself in the throne room because of a flawed system that he made. Assassinations just don't work on him.

Originally, this was A and instead of one, it decreased by two and Zheng would gain the same amount. But I wanted to have a C-Rank Endurance...

Mercurialism C
> Mental interference to self causing impairment in speech, vision, hearing, and motion.
> When active, temporarily decreases Charisma to D.
> Increases mana regeneration in higher ranks

Mercury's characteristic has attracted the interest of alchemists for a long time. Because of its semi-liquid state, they believed it held magical properties including longevity. In western alchemy, mercury is one of the three components for the creation of the Philosopher's Stone.

Zheng is his own enemy. At Rank A, he'll get a copious amount of mana replenishment but he'll be as crazy as a Berserker. It would be active more often and his Mandate of Heaven NP will be locked out.

Tanz Avatar

Tanz
OOC
I play Ying Zhemg, Li Xin, Wang Ben, Marcos Amuro, Luca Barany, Kiritsugu Emiya-Yggdm., and Jin.
Quick Reply